Build Your Own Electronic Gadget!
Please register at this link to indicate the sessions that you'll be attending!
In this first run of Build Your Own Gadget at IDA Labs @NLB, learn to build your own Arduino Word Clock!
Learn to breadboard, design your own PCB (printed circuit board) in EAGLE, learn to draw up schematics and route your own PCB, add your own silkscreen artwork, and when you're done, we'll send it for fabrication and teach you to solder the components onto it to get it working.
- Session 01 (FREE): Learning to read datasheets and build a circuit on a breadboard
- Session 02: Drawing up a schematic in EAGLE based on your breadboard circuit
- Session 03: 2-Layer PCB board design in EAGLE, adding in your own silkscreen artwork, and preparing the files for fabrication
- Session 04: Soldering through-hole and SMD components
Session 1 is free, all materials will be provided for use during the session.
Sessions 2 to 4 will have a course fee of $80/pax (for all 3 sessions) which is payable via I-banking/Bank Transfer upon sign-up. (We'll email you with the payment details once we receive your application)
The course fee is inclusive of the components required to build your gadget (Arduino and peripherals, PCB fabrication cost etc)
At the end of the course, you'll bring home your own working Arduino word clock.
Participants will need to be aged 14 and above, no prior experience with electronics necessary.
This course is great for beginners.
THINGS TO BRING
Participants are required to bring your own laptop from session 2 onwards as the following software will be required.
( Limited sets of laptops would be available for sharing among those who do not have one. )
It is best if you can install the following software before coming in to class from session 2 onwards.
a. CadSoft EAGLE (PCB Design Software): http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/
b. GIMP (Graphic Design Software) or any other graphic design software that can export black and white .bmp bitmap images: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
*If you are signing up for all 4 sessions, and you need help with installing the software, just bring along your laptop for the first session/ come earlier and we'll help you get ready for the next few weeks =)
The course dates are
- Session 1 : 05 Feb 2016 (FRI); 4 - 6 pm (Alternatively, a repeat (SESSION 1A) on 26 Feb 2016 (FRI); 4 - 6 pm is available as well)
- Session 2 : 12 Feb 2016 (FRI); 4 - 6 pm
- Session 3 : 19 Feb 2016 (FRI); 4 - 6 pm
- Session 4 : 05 March 2016 (SAT); 1 - 3 pm
Venue: IDA Labs@NLB
Address: Jurong Regional Library
21 Jurong East Central 1
Level 2, Singapore 609732
* Participants who are unable to attend session 1 will still be able to sign up for sessions 2 - 4 and learn to design a PCB